The recce battalions used to use these little halftracks to skirmish and I think one will be a lot of fun in Chain of Command games, although it is shown in the rulebook as being on List 6. I’m expecting this to be revised down to List 4 when the new national arsenal tables are published, which makes it a lot more reasonable. The above armoured recce list already shows this new value.
What inspired this project was a couple of 1/48 Sd.Kfz 222 armoured car kits I bought on eBay for about a tenner each from a guy in eastern Europe. If I build one up as an Sd.Kfz. 222 I can use the turret off the other to turn my 250 halftrack into a 250/9, and I could scratchbuild a little MG turret to turn the other 222 into a (sort of) Sd.Kfz. 221. That should give me four different recce vehicles from three kits and a total spend of about £35.
I’m a total novice at this kind of bodge job, but I thought I’d take a crack. First (and slightly nerve-wracking) step was to snap the MG and gunshield off the current Sd.Kfz. 250 and then attack both parts with a Dremel to add some little neodymium magnets. This gives me a removable MG that is stuck on bloody well when it’s attached. The plan was to slap a sheet of plasticard over the troop compartment and mount the new turret through it. The actual 250/9 was basically the same job in steel and 1:1 scale that I was doing in plastic, so I didn’t mind if it wasn’t seamless.
I used the turret ring from the Sd.Kfz. 222 kit as a template to carefully cut a hole the right size in the plasticard, shaved and cut a few bits off the turret to make it fit and voila! Sadly the storage lockers in the troop compartment mean that the turret can’t rotate properly but I’m not really willing to grind them out and repaint the interior just to get a bit of turret action.
The turret kit from ICM is a lot more detailed than you’ll get on a wargaming model, but at the cost of being a lot more flimsy. The photoetched grenade screens are lovely, and one of the main reasons I didn’t just buy a resin 250/9, but are very squashable. To get around this I added some clear plastic to the inside to stiffen it and help attach it firmly to the turret.
The kit is also 1/48, but IMO that’s close enough to 28mm. The end result won’t stand up to any kind of close scrutiny, but was cheap and quick to knock up.