The Daimler Dingo was a tiny armoured car used by British and Empire troops in WW2. Four-wheels, two blokes, and a machine gun or an AT rifle. What more do you need?

To support my NZ troops as they battle through the Germans in Italy I bought a Warlord Dingo Mk2. Most of what the Kiwis actually had were Ford Lynxes, but that was simply a Canadian-produced version of the Dingo, so it’s close enough for me.

I’ll be using mine for Chain of Command. The Dingo sits on List 3, so will be available whenever my Kiwis tangle with Panzergrenadiers or Fallschirmjager, and if I field them as the Motor Rifle battalion there’s even a good chance of being able to use one in probe scenarios against line infantry. The Dingo isn’t going to last long if you try to punch through the enemy with it, but if you use it like you should for a sneaky recce vehicle (dashing down roads to win probe games, or pouncing on undefended jump off points) then it should be pretty handy. Apart from all that it’s a cool little miniature. It’s about the size of two stacked matchboxes and looks like the drunken offspring of a tank and a mini.

The model itself was nice and clean with very small amounts of flash to tidy up. The wheels are metal and fitted snugly to the hull, although the folding roof and the headlights are a bit fiddly. I dropped one of the headlights and it vanished into the carpet, so I’ve had to bung some extra stowage on to cover the hole!

 

Painting these allied vehicles is a doddle. I undercoated with a Halfords plastic primer because it’s resin, and basecoated in Army Painter Army Green spray. Pick out the details and stowage and you’re pretty much done. The crew was sprayed British Uniform Brown, I wasn’t sure whether the berets should be Armoured Corps black or Reconnaissance Corps khaki, so I went with the former as the vehicle was marked-up as part of an Armoured Brigade HQ. I washed down with Army Painter Strong Tone ink, blacklined with some black ink and drybrushed it until I was happy. I’ve also added some GW Blackfire Earth from the texture range around the wheels. It was the first time I’ve used this and it does a nice quick job of muddying up the underneath.

That’s all pretty standard for how I paint my vehicles, but the green did make a nice change from all the German stuff I’ve been doing! The main experiment this time was in making my own transfers: more info on that soon.