Continuing my recent terrain binge, I’ve been sprucing up a house that I’ve actually used in a few games already. It’s a two-storey kit from Charlie Foxtrot Models, that works nicely as a rural house:

Lots of people have been raving about Charlie Foxtrot lately, and I’d have to agree that the basic kit is really good. That’s it on the right.

The upper floor and roof are all removable, and windows and doors all come as separate pieces if you want to paint them before sticking them in. The dormer windows are a bit fiddly, and the roof does require you to sand the edges off the upper storey walls to fit flat, but apart from that it all went together well. A length of angle and some tube are included to make the ridge tiles and chimney pots, which is a nice touch.

Like most MDF buildings the basic kit will have some big chunky joins on the corners. This is one of my main gripes about MDF kits in general, but obviously it hasn’t stopped me from putting it on the table up until now, and TBH it didn’t look too bad:

As the Germans sneak up on the house a second British section comes in through the front door to reinforce their mates upstairs

An old pic of the house. You can see the joints on the corners.

I’d tried to use a bit of filler on the corners, but obviously it didn’t completely hide the joins. So on the recommendation of the good people of the internet I tried a model railway product: some plastic quoins from Wills.  These happened to be exactly the right length for this building, but aren’t really designed to slap straight onto an MDF building. I had to get stuck in and file big chunks off the corners to get them to sit flat. That was a little nerve-wracking, as it meant filing about half way through the thickness of the walls. Now that they’re on and the plastic quoins have a generous amount of PVA behind them I’m hoping it’s pretty robust.

To get the plastic quoins to fit I had to file into the corners quite a bit

To get the plastic quoins to fit I had to file into the corners quite a bit

I’d already added some nice tiling sheets from Warbases to the roof, and I also chucked in some flowers and ivy from Mininatur, and some plant pots either built from coffee stirrers (where would the hobby be without them!) or bought from Great Escape Games.

On the inside I searched out some 1930s wallpaper patterns and stuck them to the wall. I stupidly used PVA for the upstairs rooms and it stained the printed paper as it dried, but I actually quite like the icky green tinge it’s put on the wallpaper. My sister used to be an estate agent in rural France and from some of the horrendous pics she’s shown me of the inside of French farm houses I reckon truth is far worse than fiction in this case. Downstairs I left looking a bit smarter, with a tile pattern on the floor of the kitchen instead of the floorboard pattern. I reckon that’s enough internal detail for this building, I’m not going to go mental on it.

I know the white-with-blue-shutters colour scheme isn’t too original, but I didn’t realise just how generic it was until I saw that just about every other copy of this house I’ve seen people make has been in the same colours. D’oh! Oh well, maybe I’ll get around to repainting the shutters at some point.