These are a couple of buildings that I’ve had sitting on my shelf for a while, sort of waiting to be finished off. However, in the meantime I stuck them on the table in a couple of games, and you know what? They look fine, so I guess they’re finished now!

It’s a clever idea, and allows you to realistically represent a built up area that continues off-table. Plus being open from the rear makes putting miniatures inside a doddle.

Charlie Foxtrot sell two slightly different versions of this “edge terrace” design: a British and a French one. The British one is slightly cheaper, and I wanted them to be slightly different, so I got one of each. They also do two different front yards, and are compatible with their normal terraces that have rear walls.

British Terrace

Modifying one of the dormers from the French kit to fit the lower pitched “British” roof

Peering at the pictures on the Charlie Foxtrot site I thought the only difference between the British and French versions were the shutters and dormers, but it turns out the British one also has a lower pitched roof. This made a difference because my intention was to use one of the dormers from the French kit to sort of “Frenchify” the British terrace and make it blend in with French buildings a bit.

Because of the lower pitch that meant I couldn’t use the dormer cheeks or roof parts included in the kit, and had to make a couple of my own out of mounting board. I was always planning to cover the roof in tile strips, so the fact it lacked the etched tile detail didn’t matter.

I painted the whole exterior in textured paint and stuck on the tile strips. I sprayed the roof black at this point and picked out a few tiles in shades of dark grey before drybrushing it all.

The windows, shutters and doors in the Charlie Foxtrot kits are all separate so you can paint them before fitting. I use paint testers from DIY stores for this sort of thing, as they’re cheap and I figure the colours are closer to what real houses are painted in. I marked all the lines on the shutters with a black gel pen. It’s a slightly cartoonish look, but terrain is supposed to be viewed at a distance.

Little extra bits like this drainpipe are easy to do and give the building a bit of character

I also added some cardboard strips to the window sills to add a bit more detail, and on one house I built bigger  ones out of coffee stirrers.

To give it some personality I’ve added drain pipes. These are just thin strips of MDF sprue with the brackets made of paper.

French Terrace

So, once I’d used one of the dormers on the British terrace I was left with a big gap on my other terrace. There was only one thing for it: smash a bloody great hole in the roof! I attacked the roof with a Dremel and cut a ragged looking hole, then used some spare bits of MDF sprue from an old kit to make some broken roof beams. Now not only have I covered up the missing dormer, I’ve got somewhere to hide a sniper or observer.

Since the roofs of the two terraces are at a different pitch you also get slightly different chimneys to attach to them.  I found it easier to attach these after painting everything.

The rest of it was built the same way as the British version, so I won’t bother you with the details.